Wednesday, March 01, 2006

 

Reason - Team

One of the reasons I enjoy this Ironman training is the team. I train with an organization call T3. The T3 team is a multi-dimensional group. There are people with all sorts of backgrounds, who are training for all sorts of different reasons. Some are fast, some slow, some have dreams of winning their age group, some have a simple dream of completing a sprint distance triathlon,,, and there are others that are just out to stay healthy. Some are very serious about what they are doing and others are just out to have fun. Whenever we get together people are always checking on one another, comparing injuries, complaining about the heat, bragging about improvements, discussing setbacks or just whining about the workout. Above all, each seems to be genuinely concerned about each other. On long rides, slow riders can usually count on someone hanging back and waiting for them. People who have flats can depend on their teammates to help them get started again. On weekends when someone is competing in an event, they can count on having someone from the team either there at the event to watch them or else they know that there are people waiting for Monday to get a race report. On one long ride, there were four of us out riding. At about mile 85 I was lagging behind. I told the others to go ahead because I knew I was holding them back. Instead of leaving me, they stayed with me saying, “It’s not a race, it’s about finishing together”. As corny as that sounds, after riding a bike in the heat, up and down the hills of central Texas for 5 hours, it means a lot. When you do well, someone always notices it and is quick with a compliment. When there is a set back, someone is there to offer advice and sympathy. When you are not really putting out a good effort, there is always someone there to talk some smack and challenge you to get off your ass.

When you look at the everyday world, you do not get that kind of camaraderie, concern, and sense of unity. That is a shame.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?